Friday, August 28, 2015

A Declassified Internship Recruiting Survival Guide by 2015 Intern, Rachael Creger: Part #2

"Tis the season - recruiting season that is!"


Recruiting season is an interesting time of the year. Starting just a week or so after the beginning of fall semester, sometimes pursuing an internship can feel like an extra course. Each university does things a bit differently, so of course our paths may be different during recruitment. I know from experience that UofL’s College of Business – Ulmer Career Management Center does so much for the students. Each university has their own way of doing accounting internship recruiting, some have huge career fairs, and some have small fun events like UofL’s Accounting Social. The Accounting Social has been a great kick off to my fall semesters. I first attended as a sophomore, freshly transferred to UofL from Ball State University. I remember being so nervous to go up to the tables and chat with the representatives from so many companies, both big and small. Once you get past that little bump in the road, it becomes so much fun! Of course all the companies send their friendliest, funniest employees, and everyone is so nice and welcoming. Having just transferred to UofL I was kind of in an awkward place; I had to retake a few classes for which credits didn’t transfer, and kind of do things out of order to catch up with my classmates. Some of the representatives from other companies made it clear exactly what they were looking for and I knew I wasn’t qualified. That day I met Butch Shaw and Mallary Snyder from Monroe Shine, and I guess you could say that was a bit of a turning point in my college career. They were so welcoming and gave me tons of great information about themselves and Monroe Shine. After chatting with them, I had some hope!


Last fall, my junior year, I attended the Accounting Social with my intentions set. I knew exactly who I wanted to talk to. I researched a handful of companies and had worked tirelessly the last year to make myself a more marketable candidate. I polished up my resume, perfected my LinkedIn profile, and went in there with the end goal in mind. Of course, I got to chat with Butch and Mallary again! That afternoon I left with three companies in mind (Monroe Shine being one of them) and told myself that I was going to try my hardest to score an internship with one of them! That evening I spent a few hours applying to as many on-campus interviews as I possibly could. For the UofL accounting majors reading my post, the Accounting Social this year is September 1st, 4-6:30pm in the Brown & Williamson Club which is inside Papa John's Stadium. IU, IUS, UK and Bellarmine students, be sure to check our "College Opportunities" page on our website to see when we will be on visiting your campus next! We can't wait to meet you!

http://monroeshine.com/collegerecruiting.php


And P.S. The Accounting Social always has great snacks. And who doesn’t love free food!?



~ Rachael (2015 Spring & Summer Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment